Understand before start managing stress:
- Stress cannot be eliminated; stress can only be managed
- Stress is not due to stressors themselves but due to our reaction to stressors
- 'Stress management' does not imply controlling pressure but controlling our response to pressure
- 'Stress Management' involves a whole new way of thinking
Some 'Stress inducing behaviors':
- Body related (Uncontrolled eating, obesity, Unhealthy habits like smoking, drug abuse, alcoholism) etc
- Mind related (irrational beliefs, attitudes and values and negative thinking and emotions)
- Behavioural elements (like poor time management, resistance to change, non-assertiveness, no goals, no motivation etc)
Some statistics - source: Url: http://www.aasra.info/articlesandstatistics.html
Globally 3 out of every 5 visits to the doctor are for 'stress related problems'. 76% people under stress say they have sleeping disorders and 58% suffer headaches. Laughing helps ease stress. And laughing 100 times equals 10 minutes of working out on a rowing machine or 15 minutes of cycling. 85% of people under stress tend to have strained relations with family and friends. 70% of people under stress say they have become short-tempered. A 'NIMHANS' study says 36 % techies in Bangalore show signs of psychiatric disorder.
Welcome comments, suggestions and questions. Please join by clicking 'join this site' icon and leave comments on clicking the 'comments' button below the article.